Monday, December 22, 2014

The Gift of Art

 Sonja - 4th grade




Cora - 1st grade


These two Beautiful works were created by sisters who wanted to give their ocean-loving dad a gift of art this Christmas (Well, their mom had a bit to do with the idea). We had talked about jellyfish, but the girls were very enthusiastic about seahorses. When I brought up the idea of one doing a close up and the other the full "body", each girl instantly knew what they wanted to do. 

Sonja's was created in watercolor and salt. Cora created her seahorse in watercolor and marker (for the small details.) I cut this out and we glued it to a background of oil pastel and salt and watercolor. They chose their color schemes completely on their own and I love the fact that they go together nicely, without being too matchy-matchy. I know he'll be thrilled to receive these. Beautiful work girls! (I so enjoyed our time together and your laughter at my failed attempts in pronouncing Sinterklaas!) You've inspired me to do a seahorse lesson in my classes next month.

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful gift to give their father, he'll have a treasure. Great lesson. Doogal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, they are both absolutely GORGEOUS! What size are they? I would absolutely mat and frame them, and then hang them side by side! Exquisite!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and feedback!