Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Sheep in the Snow



 Sami, 5


 Presley, 5


 Grace, 6


Jenna, 10

I'm finally getting to some seasonal art projects this month. The temperature has dropped into the 50's this week. For SoCal residents, this could be considered bitter cold. Although I know the rest of the country is dealing with "real" frigid weather right now. 

The children created their sheep on brown and blue construction paper with chalk pastels. They followed a direct line drawing lesson and used both the tip and the side of their pastels to create texture. I encouraged them to use a little smudged charcoal to create shadow and depth. On a separate piece of board I offered blue, black and purple liquid watercolors to create a wintertime sky. After this was dry they created snow using the backs of their brushes dipped in white acrylic.Sheep were then cut out and glued to their backgrounds.



10 comments:

  1. These are SO impressive for 5 and 6 yr. olds!!!! I imagine one could do this on brown craft paper or grocery bags, too. I LOVE the smudgy quality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christie! I thought they did a great job too. And you know how much I love using paper grocery bags! That would be a good option.

      Delete
  2. These are great! I haven't stopped by in a while. Glad I did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness. These sheep are precious. Lovely project and amazing art skills. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! These are wonderful, and how young the kids were that created these, fantastic!!
    Lauren of www.cornwellfam.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are beautiful! Totally impressed! Great job to you and the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love these sheep! Would you be willing to share how you give directions to the students for drawing the sheep (the direct line drawing lesson)? Do you start with the "u" shape face? And do they try some practice drawings before working on the construction paper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo. I have added a basic tutorial. Yes, I started with a basic u shape and went from there. Pastels really make these come to life. And I remind the kids to smudge certain areas of charcoal and pastel with their index finger for shadows and shading. Hope this helps!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for including the tutorial!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and feedback!