Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Pop Art Chimps










Today I had a 2 hour Animal Art Fun workshop for children ages 6-12. This wide age range posed a challenge for me to create projects appropriate for 1st graders thru 6th. I thought these multi media pop art chimps were basic enough for my younger students, yet would work well for my middle schoolers. I gave the children acrylics in blue, yellow, orange and hot pink with no water to clean their brushes. I encouraged them to start with the lightest color - yellow, and fill their board with color. We discussed which overlapping color combos would create beautiful colors and which would create a muddy look (blue and orange) that we were trying to avoid with this particular project. From there, they could approach their painting any way they wished. Once the bases were dry, (thanks again to my niece with blow dryer to speed things up) the children followed a basic direct line drawing to create their chimpanzees in charcoal. I encouraged them to fill up their page to create bold pop art portraits.

11 comments:

  1. I love the expressions that kids' got. Several have a "Grinchy" look to them:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so fun Mary that I started sketching monkeys when I saw them. Tell your students that they inspired me to create, okay?

    :)Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I will definitely pass that along Pat. :) Children's art really inspires me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Texture, color, you got it all love them

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha!ha! These are awesome! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice works of art! The kids definitely learned from this experience. They did a great job with the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this project! Definitely have to borrow it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi. What type of charcoal did you use with the kids? This is my first time using that medium with them and not sure how to go about it. Project looks really cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. We used compressed charcoal sticks. I believe we used soft or medium texture. (they come in soft, medium and hard) They come in packs on Amazon or any art supply store. They are messy, but fun! ;) Best of luck!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and feedback!